Eligibility requirements are as follows:
1. Daily contact with animals of one or more species in the form of handling, feeding, watering, changing bedding, etc.
2. Demonstrated positive attitude toward the welfare of the animals.
3. Demonstrated performance in completing animal care related duties as well as or better than the expected level of performance for the facility.
4. Pursuit of knowledge in the field of animal care should be present (i.e. any course work or formal training).
5. Innovative approaches to animal husbandry related problems should be cited.
6. All considerations being equal, candidates having current membership in the Appalachian Branch of AALAS or National AALAS will be selected.
NOTE: Supervisory responsibility and formal degrees are not important considerations for the award.
This Branch award consists of an engraved plaque and a $200 honorarium. It is designed for animal technicians or research technicians who have performed their duties in an exemplary manner. The recipient of this award will serve as a member of the Awards Committee for the following year.
The criteria for the award include:
1. Must be an Appalachian Branch member in good standing.
2. Must demonstrate positive attitude toward the welfare of the animals.
3. Makes significant contributions to research activities by demonstrating a quality job performance (innovation, initiative, judgment, team work, work output, communication skills, guidance skills, and dependability are greater than the expected level of performance for the facility.
4. Pursues continuing education in animal science and/or welfare.